Private Health Insurance Companies
To provide a list of innovative benefits provided by private health insurance companies such as tests (such as access to genetic testing), medical devices (such as 'smart' implants) and pharmaceuticals (such as new drug therapies). Additionally, to compare the coverage offered by private health insurance companies in their policies and provide examples of private health insurance companies that cover innovative medicine. For each private health insurance company, we will provide the name, turnover, number of policyholders, and which innovative benefits are offered. Most likely this information will be obtained from countries with high rates of private health insurance companies such as Slovenia, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Germany, Denmark. We will exclude private health insurance companies from Ireland and any companies limited to reimbursement of costs or faster access to providers/treatments also covered by the public health insurance system. The end goal is to produce a high-level benchmarking across several markets for the range of innovative medicine coverage.
Innovative Benefits Offered by Private Health Insurance Companies
- More than 90% of the private health insurance companies in the US provide coverage benefits for the cost of cochlear implant surgery and related services.
- In the Netherlands, people opt for supplementary private health insurance for coverage of alternative therapies.
- Alternative and complementary healthcare procedures such as acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy, osteopathy and so on are well-established in the Netherlands. In order to access these, individuals have to purchase supplementary private health insurance coverage modules in addition to their basic health coverage.
Private Health Insurance Companies
- Germany has slightly more than 40 private health insurance companies.
- Some of the best-known private health insurance companies in Germany include Allianz Private Krankenversicherung, AXA, DKV, Debeka
and Deutsche Krankenversicherung.
- Some of the largest private health insurance companies in Belgium include Aetna International, Allianz Care, Bupa Global, Cigna Global, and Globality Health.
- There are more than 150 private health insurance companies in the Netherlands with some of the largest being Allianz Care, Bupa Global, Cigna Global, and Clements.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
The initial one hour research was only able to provide additional innovative benefits such as cochlear implants and alternative therapies. We suggest moving ahead to provide 3 to 5 private health insurance companies in each market that provide at least one of the following innovative benefits 1. Access to genetic testing 2. Medical devices (such as 'smart' implants) 3. New drug therapies and 4. Alternative and complementary healthcare procedures (such as acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy, osteopathy). This will be provided in six different requests, one focused on each of the following markets Slovenia, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Germany, and Denmark. This request will provide the company names, country and which innovative benefits are provided by each company in a spreadsheet.
We will subsequently provide more details to complete the spreadsheet provided by the first request to provide a comparison of the private health insurance companies across these markets. Information that will be provided in each of these requests is a link to the company's country website, their turnover, and the number of policyholders in this market. Each request will focus on one of the required geographical markets; Slovenia, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Germany, and Denmark.