Population Size of Different Employee Roles
To determine the population size of product managers or product owners (at Microsoft, they're called program managers)
, UX designers or product designers
, UX researchers or user researchers, and front-end engineers or web developers
- According to a 2019 Medium report, as of June 2019, there were 17,801 product mangers in the United States, which represent an increase of 32% in the demand for the position over the last two years.
- The industries driving most of the demand include the e-commerce sector, the fintech and financial services sectors, and management consulting.
- According to a 2018 Medium report, there are over 238,000 UX designers, working for 129,000 companies in the U.S.
- An Emsi Analyst report estimates that the demand for will continue to increase by at least 10% every year until 2023.
- UX design is the 19th highest paid position in the US according to Glassdoor.
- According to a report by NNG, the number of user researchers surpassed 1 million worldwide in 2017.
- They estimate that the number will most likely grow to 100 million by 2050.
- In fact, there are over 15 online communities devoted specifically to user research, each featuring over 85,000 members.
- Unfortunately, we were not able to locate a specific number for the US despite going through several industry reports and publications from Nielsen, Medium, and NNG.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.