Case Studies on Digital Identity
To identify the following:
1. Case studies of markets that have already started creating a Digital Identity.
2. Case studies of how different groups have used IoT/ Edge to offer a more robust Digital identity.
3. Experts' point of view of how this will impact the way we interact and access with various government and financial services.
China: WeChat ID
- WeChat partnered with the Chinese government to allow people to deploy WeChat ID as a digital ID to make transactions in Guangzhou.
- Residents use WeChat ID cards as official identification to access public services and other services such as deliveries and booking hotel rooms. The central government may expand it to the rest of the country after the trial in Guangzhou.
Citizens will also able to use their WeChat ID cards to access government services and other services. This initiative is part of efforts to prevent online identity forgery.
"The Ministry of Public Security worked with WeChat to develop the ID program. The level of authentication needed varies depending on how the digital ID cards are being used, a greater level of authentication would be needed for business registration."
- Guangzhou is also "experimenting with using the app in other public services, such as allowing citizens to access judiciary filings and case information".
The city has also made payments more efficient by working with WeChat. WeChat has roughly 1 billion users.
China: Chancheng District
- "Chancheng district in southern China is using Blockchain to verify citizens’ identity before they access public services online".
The “intelligent multifunctional identity uses paired encryption keys to verify identities on their smartphones, without needing to visit any physical offices".
- "The digital identity allows them to access personal insurance certificates, tax payments, pensions, and disability allowances through a mobile app. It can also be used to access services at local hospitals and libraries".
- In terms of security, “the data collected through IMI is unalterable and safe when transmitted. The accuracy of the data is secured by mutual verification of separate data collectors."
South Korea: T-Auth
- "Major mobile network operators in South Korea have created a common identity solution where operators share relevant information with service providers through a user's phone number, after customers grant explicit permission."
- In 2005, "SKT launched T-Auth, an
authentication solution that leverages the data
captured in SKT’s subscriber contracts to help online
businesses ensure the accuracy of the information
provided by their customers and the security of their
accounts and personal details."
- By 2016,
"T-Auth had 13 million monthly users making 650 million
transactions annually with 27,000 service providers,
including content providers and social media".
- For the initial hour, we were mainly able to focus on identifying case studies on markets that have already started Digital Identity
initiatives and found some examples for China and South Korea.
- We recommend continuing the research for the other requested data points.
- Feel free to add or select an option below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.