VR Total Addressable Market
To gather data on VR headset usage, including headsets sold and growth, in order to understand the total VR addressable market.
- The size of the global AR/VR market is 18.8 billion USD and is expected to grow rapidly in the coming years.
- Oculus Quest accounted for about a half of the global VR sales in 2019. In Q4 2019, 317,000 headsets were sold.
- Information on total sales is available for each headset, but data on active users is scarce.
- In Q4 2019, 71,000 Oculus Rift headsets have been sold.
- In total, 1.3 million HTC Vive headsets were sold. This headset, as well as the Vive Pro series, have been recently discontinued and replaced with the new Vive Pro Eye.
- In Q4 2019, 103,000 Valve Index headsets were sold.
- In Q4 2019, 338,000 PlayStation VR headsets were sold.
- On Steam, 1 million VR headsets are connected monthly.
- VR headsets are used for only 6.2 hours on average monthly, with 12% of users using headsets for over 16 hours monthly, 65% using headsets less than 5 hours per month.
- In terms of sales increases since summer 2019, this data is available: Oculus Quest sold 180,000 headsets in Q3 2019, compared to 317,000 headsets in Q4 2019. Valve's headset sales doubled in Q4 2019 compared to Q3 2019.
- In 2018, there were 171 million active headset users, according to Statista.
- The overall impression is that the VR market is growing, despite low usage (consumers aren't using VR devices very often).
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.