Small-Sided Lacrosse Game Market
Gain an understanding of the market potential of small-sided lacrosse games with youth, high school, college and post collegiate participants, as well as the benefits at each age level, in order to support the launch and strategic growth plan of a branded lacrosse event.
Market Growth Potential
While there was limited quantitative data related to size of market growth in the small-side lacrosse space, we were able to find the following evidence suggesting the market is expanding to support the launch and strategic growth plan of a related event.
- It's projected that PAC-12/Power Five schools will add men's lacrosse to their sports landscape, as the already sponsored women's lacrosse grows in popularity.
- Overall interest has grown in the lacrosse space, which has led to more financial support of the sport as a whole, specifically at the college level, where alumni often donate to sports.
- Small-sided play in the youth lacrosse space has been supported by US Lacrosse’s Athlete Development Model, with it seen as a potential solution to the recent dip in participation in the US.
- It is also predicted that future Olympics will include lacrosse with a 6-v-6 format in coming years.
- While there was not a specific statistic projecting the growth in popularity of small-sided competition in the lacrosse space, various portable versions of the sport of popped up to support small-sided play, including "trashcan", speed and 3x3 versions, suggesting its growing popularity as well.
Benefits By Age Level
- The director of education and training at organization US Lacrosse noted that small-sided play has the potential to address various issues in the youth space, including challenges with early recruiting, format of the tournament scene, and the unnecessary push for kids to specialize too early.
- The Lacrosse Athlete Development Model endorsed by the US Lacrosse Board of Directors also advocates for small-sided lacrosse as a tool to broaden both participation at a range of levels and ages as well as offering potential to increase the pool of skilled players.
- Small-side sports including lacrosse are also thought to offer greater opportunities for assessment and feedback due to fewer players and smaller space, improving the learning experience over time.
- This is considered especially opportune for young players looking to transition to full scale games later as well.
- The format keeps more people in the sport for a longer period, as well as widens the potential pool at the elite level, both of which increase overall participation at all ages.
- The tight spaces of small-side lacrosse also support teamwork and skill development over athletic dominance, with reaction times and decision-making heightened in a smaller playing area.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.