To determine the total number of CBD companies and licenses in Colombia, as well as the key players and the potential market size.
- Colombia could potentially supply 44% of the global demand for medicinal marijuana and has approved the harvest of 40,5 tons of the plant for export-only proposes.
- The key players in the Colombia cannabis market include FCM Global, PharmaCielo, Clever Leaves, Khiron life Sciences Corp, International Cannabis Corp, MedCann, Santa Marta Golden Hemp, among others.
- Of the over 100 licensed cannabis companies operating in Colombia, "only four companies have fully registered cultivars with the Colombian Agricultural Institute (ICA)" as at May 2019. The four companies include Medcann, Clever Leaves, FCM Global, and Santa Marta Golden Hemp.
- Registering cultivars is a prerequisite for growing cannabis for commercial purposes. As at May 2019, no company was selling or exporting medical cannabis commercially.
- Avicanna, a Canadian biotech company, owns 60% of Santa Marta Golden Hemp, while Orion Nutraceuticals, another Canadian company, owns 35% of FCM Global.
- Clever Leaves obtained the first authorization to import dry cannabis flower into Canada from Columbia in January 2019, but the initial shipment will be for scientific testing purposes in a Canadian lab.