Popularity in Gaming
To explore the most popular games (and game genres) played online socially globally. Particular emphasis should be placed within the age group of 20-55 year olds and defining the online social games they play.
INSIGHTS FROM THE 2018 GAMER SEGMENTATION REPORT
According to a 2018 report from EEDAR, the following statistics apply to casual gamers in the United States (note the full version of this report is paywalled):
of Americans play
- 34% use mobile devices only to play video games, however 90% of gamers play on a smartphone or tablet at some point
- An average of 12 hours a week
is spent playing video games by most gamers
- 26% of those who would be called "US Gamers
" are classified as non-“gamers” who play
mobile games because
they are convenient and
provide another way to use their device
- There are 211.2 million Americans (over the age of 2) who play video games
- According to data from Straits Research, the ten post popular game genres are: Action, Sports, Adventure, Battle Royale, Role-Playing, Racing, Fighting, Real-Time Strategy, Simulation, and First Person Shooters. This is similar to the top 10 genres presented by Technavio in 2018.
- Destiny 2
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Dota 2
- Counter-Strike: GO
- Apex Legends
- League of Legends
Given that there are multiple gaming genres it is suggested that further research be segmented by each gaming genre to reach the ultimate goal of defining the requested segmentation in each. A sample spreadsheet for the project has been created and can be reviewed here.
The suggested full path of the research would be as follows:
1) Identify the top 10 games (globally) in each of the 10 genre categories (based on an equally applied metric like total players) and list these in COLUMNS A-E of the project spreadsheet
2) Once the top 10 are identified in each genre, then further research would commence to complete the additional analysis of each game to complete COLUMNS F-L of the project spreadsheet.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.