Health Implications of a Vegan Diet
To find scientific evidence supporting the theory that adherence to a vegan diet has significant health benefits. Specifically note any benefits associated with switching from a vegetarian to a vegan diet. Information should come from reputable organizations, peer-reviewed journals, and other credible sources. Research will be used to develop a personal diet plan.
A vegan diet is essentially one type of vegetarian diet. People have been adhering to vegetarian diets as far back as 700 BC, and there are several classifications of this dietary preference. Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not eat any meat, but will eat dairy and eggs. Lacto vegetarians do not eat meat or eggs, but will eat dairy. Ovo vegetarians eat eggs, but will not eat meat or dairy products. Vegans will not eat any animal products including meat, eggs, and dairy for reasons spanning from personal ethics to health conscientiousness to environmental concerns.
Benefits of a Vegan Diet
- Adhering to a diet high in "fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds" while avoiding all animal products is an effective way to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Plant-based diets are also better for heart health, specifically those consisting of "whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, oils, tea, and coffee."
- A vegan diet can increase metabolism and decrease "body fat storage."
- Vegetarian diets, including veganism, can also lower the risk of kidney disease.
- Both veganism and vegetarianism will aid in weight management, prevent and manage diabetes, reduce the risk of cancer, and help with digestion.
Vegetarian vs. Vegan
- 8 million people in the US are vegetarians with about half of them identifying as vegans.
- Switching to an exclusively vegan diet can lead to a period of detox that can include frequent urination, acne flares, headaches, and fatigue. Many vegans recommend phasing into it.
- Livestrong has a blog specifically dedicated to following a vegan diet that includes recipes, nutrition guides, and generally useful information.
In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.