Federal Trade Commission Announcements
To understand how the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced their investigation findings, the top tier media coverage from an FTC announcement, the scope of the media coverage, who was quoted in the coverage, the social media coverage stemming from announcements, and how investigated companies handled and responded to the announcements, specifically for Apex Capital Group, Mobile Money Code, University of Phoenix, Match.com, Zuryxx, All Response as well as understand if FTC's announcements for financial services companies differ from those of other industries and what their announcements around misleading and false marketing/sales practices look like. This research will inform a strategy for a client who may be in a similar situation.
Apex Capital Group
- The FTC had four press releases surrounding this case.
- The first press release was released on November 28, 2018, and laid out the allegations and mentioned which section of the FTC Act was violated.
- The second press release was released on May 31, 2019. It announced an amendment to the allegations and introduced a new defendant to the case.
- The third press release was released on September 20, 2019. This release informs of the court order against Apex Capital Group and other defendants and the settlement and again lays out the allegations, providing more information than previous press releases.
- The fourth press release was released on January 17, 2020. It again lays out the allegations and discusses the final court order.
- On its blog, the FTC also mentioned this case. The blog explains the case in layman terms, shows visuals of how the defendants operated and warns consumers.
- News of Apex Capital Group was covered by Lexicology, KGW8, and Good Morning America.
Summary of Findings
- During the initial hour of research, we focused on Apex Capital Group.
- Press releases and blogs from the FTC on this case were found as well as news coverage surrounding Apex Capital Group. A quick scan did not show that this case was covered by the Wall Street Journal or Reuters.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.