Importance of Waste Reduction/Elimination to Consumers
To understand, from the consumer's perespective, how important it is for brands to mention that they are 'eliminating or reducing waste' in their operations. In more general terms, to obtain statistics that depict the extent to which social or ecological impacts from brands influence modern consumers' purchasing decisions.
- According to a CSR study conducted by Cone Communications in 2017, 63% of Americans hope that businesses will play a leading role in driving social and environmental change in the absence of government regulation.
- 87% of consumers will buy a product because a brand advocated for an issue that they care about.
- Majority (76%) of consumers will not patronize a company if they discover that the brand "supported an issue contrary to their beliefs".
- In the survey, 92% of consumers revealed that they are more likely to trust companies that support environmental or social issues.
- Job development was the most important issue, mentioned by 94% of consumers, in the Cone Communications report.
- Other important issues were cost of higher education, immigration, climate change, gun control, and LGBTQ rights.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Our background search reveals that consumers are more likely to patronize brands that support environmental and social issues. We recommend further research to provide specific information, from the consumer's perspective, regarding how important it is for brands to mention that they are 'eliminating or reducing waste' in their operations. We would provide some quantitative or qualitative data to validate our findings.
Also, we recommend further research to provide 2-3 case studies of brands that have improved their sales, brand affinity, or customer base, by mentioning 'waste reduction' or 'waste elimination' in their value proposition, messaging, or marketing campaigns. For each case study, we would describe what the brand did and the success it achieved through this means.