Machine Learning Skills
To understand the demand for machine learning skills in the current and future job market, in order to inform marketing efforts in this field.
Machine Learning Overview
- Machine learning encompasses skills that help computer systems increase intelligence, thus being part of the artificial intelligence (AI) field.
- Machine learning happens in four ways: supervised learning, unsupervised learning, semi-supervised learning, and reinforcement learning. Various skills are needed for each type of machine learning.
- The demand for machine learning/AI jobs has been increasing steadily since 2016.
- The global market for machine learning was $1.4B in 2017, and it is expected to grow to $8.8B by 2022.
- Creating effective machine learning systems requires skills in data preparation, algorithms, automation and iterative processes, ensemble modeling, and scalability.
Machine Learning Skill Demand
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioners are noted as one of the top 10 fastest-growing skills in IT in 2020.
- Machine Learning Engineer was identified as a high-paying position with growing demand as of 2019.
- The average demand for machine learning engineers demonstrated a 344% growth rate from 2018-2019, with an average annual salary of $146,085 in 2019.
- The demand for computer vision engineers has increased from 2018-2019, with a 116% growth rate, with an average annual salary of $158,303.
- Robotic engineer demand has a 128% growth rate from 2018-2019, with an average annual salary of $99,007.
- Job availability for AI and machine-learning positions is predicted to reach 2.3 million available jobs in 2020.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.